Monday, September 7, 2015

Growth MindSet - Week 2

I have one huge problem that needs to get fixed and that is focus. Focusing to start a task, to stay on track, or to end task is something i need to get better at. I find hard to start studying and sometimes it will take upwards to an hour of goofing off to get something done. I'm a fast learning so when i study i can cover a lot in a short time but I can never stay focused. I always last an hour or two. Then I go back to goofing off. I'm always told that Its hard for me to finish anything. I never realized until last semester but its true I never finish what I say I will.  I have tons ideas into how i can improve myself this semester. One I am going to stay on campus to finish school work. Second, whenever I need to use to internet when i stay Im going to block sites like reddit until i'm finished studying. Lastly, I stumbled upon this book call De Brevitate Vitae (On the Shortness of Life in English) written by Seneca the younger, a roman philosopher.  From what i know so far, the book talks mainly over how to make lives meaning in the short time we have. Now all i left to do is to finish this book and accomplish this goals
(motivation, Websource: Celestine Chua)

4 comments:

  1. Davis, this is so cool! The writer Seneca is one of my favorites (I used to be a Latin teacher, about a gazillion years ago, ha ha). Lots of the Latin proverbs and mottoes that are still alive today actually come from Seneca's writing: not only was he very wise about life, he was very good at putting his thoughts into words. I guess you will not be surprised to find out that I make cat memes with Latin proverbs (once you start doing cat memes, it's kind of hard to stop)... and a lot of them come from Seneca and other Roman authors: Latin LOLCats ... if you ever find a good phrase in Seneca that you really like and want to know in Latin, let me know and I will help you track down the original Latin words. :-)

    Happy Friday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have wrote “I” instead of I. Make sure you capitalize your “I” s when needed. Hahaha, I remember you goofing off on Reddit when you were supposed to study! I think blocking sites like that will be a great idea. I think I should do the same by blocking sites like Facebook and Pinterest. I think outing your phone away will help a lot too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same problem with this too. I only have a few more months of classes separating me from my career and it's really hard to stay focused on reading a case study when you have that in the back of your mind. I think finishing work on campus is huge, the comfort of your room is a death trap for focus. I have never heard of this book before, it sounds really interesting I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is also really hard for me to stay on task. I get myself into trouble a lot at work because I always misplace things. It is usually because I decide to work on another project and forget to finish the first. Then about an hour later my manager asks me where something is that I was using for the first project, and I can’t tell her! It always gets the best of me.

    ReplyDelete