Monday, September 7, 2015

Storybook Topics

Topic one: Dharma
I like the concept of dharma. The concept of dharma is not just visible in Indian culture and history but I feel like different conceptions of dharma are available in a lot of civilizations. I feel like this concept is  touched on in readings of Rama.  
Research:
According to Wikipedia, it is in many different religion like Jainism and Buddhism. It has multiple meanings relating to justice like laws, duties, and virtues. Though they mean the same thing each religion that includes dharma has a their own concept of it.  If you look on the flag of Indian the symbol on it is actually the symbolizes Dharma.

(India Flag,  Web Source: Wikipedia)


Topic Two: Traveling India
This is one of my favorite topics because you can do almost anything with it. I have traveled to India several times, in and out of my parents home region, Kerala. I think this topic will be good way to give actual experiences with famous temples like Madras.
Research:
India is huge and though it may seem that all of India may share the same customs and culture, that is not true. From personal experiences, traveling from state to state, you can see many changes in everything. There is an abundance about India that I do not know. Using hinduism.iskcon.org, there are seven ancient cities, four holy dhamas and many more sacred places.

Topic Three: Vishnu
I picked Vishnu because he mentioned several times in Rama. Though he plays a huge role in the story (being incarnated into Rama), I do not know any thing about him. From the story I have gathered, he is a very important god; very similar to Zeus. Since he is a very important God in Hinduism, he must also have a large list of interesting stories.
Research:
On Vishnu's Wikipedia page, he is labeled as the supreme god. he also holds the title of Preserver or the Protector. Compared to western ideas Vishnu looks different. He is pale blue and has four arms. Usually he manifests himself into many different heroes to slay demons and to protect people.
(Vishnu, Websource:Silenttruth.co.uk)

Topic Four: Brahma
After researching Vishnu and reading about Shiva, I have found there is another god named Brahma. I picked  Brahma because even if he is one of the main gods, I have never noticed him at all. He has a very interesting backstory and being the god of creation, he should have a lot of stories revolving around him.
Research:
Shortly after finding out who Brahma was, I learned that he was one of the three main gods (Shiva, Vishnu, and Brahma). He was born second out of Vishnu's belly button and is labeled the creator god. Usually Brahma is depicted with three heads.
(Braham, Websource: Wikipedia)


1 comment:

  1. Hi Davis, I like your storybook topics. Have you decided if you are going to do a stor book or portfolio? I read a lot of your stories, and I love reading them because you bring in an interesting twists to most of your stories. I would want to see you do a storybook! I feel like you will have a lot of interesting twists to your stories.

    ReplyDelete