Friday, August 28, 2015

Overview

I have always found epic literature interesting. Though I have never had a class that was solely based upon epics, however, in my classes we read numerous epics by Homer like Oedipus. These types of stories tell of Greek tragedies that include beasts like Cerberus, gods like Zeus, and heroes like Hercules. I also like reading epic series written by Percy Jackson. These books were always so intriguing to me because they let you see a world that can not be experienced. These books let my imagination soar to new heights. My school never had any classes that taught specifically about Indian culture. They only taught us about important Indian figures like Gandhi. One thing that always surprised me was that my school was about thirty percent Indian.   So, growing up as a second generation Immigrant I was always surrounded by Indian music, films, and dances. I always liked Indian dances and music because it was different compared to other cultures dances and musics. Bollywood movies are entertaining, but it usually consists of love stories about a forbidding love,  My family is mostly Indian except for a few people who married in. The funny thing is that even though my family is really Indian. The language my parents primarily speak ,Malayalam, never stuck with me.  I have been to India three times. Once when I was a baby, second time when I was around ten, and the third time when I was fifteen. I like visiting India because it is such a different experience. The food is fresh, mouthwatering, and it smells is always like it just rained.   The last time we went we left drove out of Kerala and visited a few churches and temples. One specific temple we visited was Madras. The way the temple was made and the decorations all over it the reminds me of the pictures of Indian epics.


                                                        (Indian dance, source: Wikipedia)

No comments:

Post a Comment