Thursday, October 8, 2015

Week 7: StoryTelling

As swords clashed and arrows flew men were slain one by one. Each side suffered their own losses. I had lost my son and my brother had lost his too. They lost there commander Drona. When I saw my son die. I did not care about the outcome for the war. All i wanted was revenge. How could a great warrior such as him fall in such a away. I swore to myself that the only way to avenge my son was to stain the battle field in those bastard's blood.

So he did. Arjuna slayed thousands of men. Each one fell in one swing. The land was soaked. Everywhere he stepped the ground felt like mud. Even though it has not rained water in weeks.

Then i saw him....Karna stood in the midst of the battlefield.Thinking of only his son, Arjuna fought his way towards him. Finally no man stood between the two. The only way for him to truly avenge his son was to beat him in a duel.  "You know why I am here. Instead of killing you outright. On my pride as warrior, Let us have a fair fight to the death,". I said. Instead of exchange words Karna accepted by drawing his bow.

It seemed as if the battle field stopped. There were no clashing of swords, no whizzing of arrows through the air, Even the screams of men had stopped. The only thing on Arjuna's Mind was his son and the vengeance he swore. Each warrior shot countless arrows at each other. The sky grew dark with the arrows. Both men took blood and bleed themselves. It was then that one of Karna's arrow struck Arjuna's Gandiva bowstring. Arjuna stood there with no weapon. Karna noticed a took a paused for instant. As proud warrior, he thought Karna would give him the chance to restring his bow so they could fight fairly. Instead Karna started to relentlessly. Arjuna was struck many times but manage to restring his bow. Once restrung he manage to fire an arrow that pierced straight through Karna's foot and into his Achilles tendon. Karna fell down dropping his bow. Arjuna like Karna paused. "Can I really shoot a defenseless warrior? What kind of man would this made me?" Then he remember what happened. How his son was killed. How his wife was treated. He armed his bow and shot one single arrow that pierce though Karna. Even though he had abandoned is pride as warrior or that fact that he was in midst of war, he felt a slight bit of relief and happiness. '

(Arjuna, Websource: Wikipedia)


Author's Note:
I wanted to capture Arunja's mindset when fighting Karna. I felt that a man who has seen his son slain and his wife abused would be good thing to right about. After all he had lost something that was very dear to him.  I tried using a little bit of narration in the story too but that something new I am trying,
Hopefully it does not make it confusing.

Bibliography:
"PDE Arjuna and Karna" (2013) by Laura Gibbs, Websource:ouocblog.blogpsot.com

2 comments:

  1. I really like reading your story. It wasn't confusing for me to understand the switch in narration styles at all. However, my job is actually to review the writing of others and offer advice, so I would maybe advise using a different way to block off the text that is the narrator and the text that is Arjuna's perspective, such as with italics for Arjuna. This didn't detract from the story, though. I really enjoyed the richness of your storytelling and felt like the battle really came to life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing I have noticed from reading you blog is that you do not like to capitalize the letter “I”. Your story was very interesting to read, but you have a lot of grammar mistakes that made it hard to read and understand. You separated incomplete phrases instead of using compound or complex sentences. There is a website you can use called grammarly that can fix all of these problems!

    ReplyDelete